19 February 2014 § Leave a comment
To pair with the launch of my portfolio site, and in response to some positive interest from viewers, I am going to post up a few screen caps & details that show the process/pipeline of building one of my most recent architectural visualizations. This image was completed for Snohetta for a design competition they entered last year. You can seem the other images generated for the affair on their site. You can also see more on the competition here or here or here. Vincent Appel, from Of Possible Architectures, assisted with the modelling process while I did the bulk of the post-production in photoshop as show below. I am actually going to breeze over the details, if you don’t mind too much. I will address additional techniques later on in different posts.
1 Compositional Render: This was the first pass at this image. Very rough, no rendered textures as you might notice, and very early in the design stage. This was modeled in Rhino and rendered quickly in Vray. The focus was on the composition of the image, as well as the lighting. It also gave me a head start for collecting resources & background imagry, as well as brainstorming color palettes.
2 Texture Render Tests and Color: One of the big strengths of this image is its utilization of 3d textures. Anyone seriously interested in rendering very HQ believable images needs to start exploring these & how to use them effectively. (You can find tons freely available online). We did a lot of tests and we found that using 3d wood grains really took this image to the next level. If we were to just montage wood textures, we would not be able to get the depth of color & tone & believability without a lot of extra time & painting. My biggest piece of advice is to be selective–don’t go crazy & overtexture everything. Too much detail looks as fake as too little. Also note, that my particular style is towards something more painterly and atmospheric, rather than strict realism. At this stage I also was working on color overlays–still far from perfected here.
3 Final Base Render : As you can see, the base render is very simple. White surfacing for most assets and the texture is preserved in this. The wood was rendered in color because it was easier to modify from there. What you don’t see is that we also rendered out several channels. You should always include the RENDER ID channel, as well as light/shadow. Play around though. I used a variety of channels to achieve different affects & gain control over different elements.
4 Initial Color Manipulation and Background : First set of color overlays. I prefer to start a little oversaturated and reduce as I move on. The background was pieced together form a series of photographs and ended up being quite a headache to get in perfect perspective.
5 Color Manipulation, Saturation : Increased saturation; this was actually a test/experiment that I quickly did on the side. Oversaturating sometimes allows you to see what colors are actually acting in certain areas. Note heavy purple on left. That was annoying me a lot.
5 Desaturation, color, people, snow, etc : Snow added, colors desaturated somewhat, carousel added in the background as well as people.
5 Season change! : JK Client decided daytime better for selling. Probably right but I still liked the snow. Grass was painted in rough.
5 Final Touches! : Softened the images by removing/reducing black. Also softened background and increased lighting.
16 February 2014 § Leave a comment
Since it’s the weekend, I have continued with my efforts to reorganize my digital archive. Through this process I have been setting aside sketches found from college years completed for my design projects. The following set was for a project set in Syracuse city. The initial sketch, done on site of the project location, I then made copies of & sketched over several times to explore different design ideas for the site. The first two are the before (empty, on site sketch) and the after (the final design I selected). I also included a few of the process images–there were tons of these, but the ones below are my favorites.
I also hope to , as I get a little more downtime, to colorize the initial sketch.
11 February 2014 § Leave a comment
The drawings below are from a study conducted in 2010 of the Omega Center for Sustainable Living. It houses a huge eco-machine which breaks down & consumes pollutants in water. I will post up some more drawings from my finalized studies later tonight! The last drawing is a design for a ‘hydroponic card catalog cart’ that was a component to one of my design projects for my 3rd year comprehensive architecture studio–those drawings too will eventually appear on this website, and I believe you will find them delightful!
I have yet to scan in my most recent drawings. I actually have been bad at keeping up with drawing every day. I find that my plate is loaded with things I need to do–from running my company The Movement Creative, work everyday, studying for the ARE’s, research for my book (on play & architecture), losing weight/exercising, restructuring my data storage, redoing my website, and a handful of other goals I am trying to complete (read a book a month, sketch every day, etc). Though I definitely can find time to draw, I feel that my biggest wall is that I want to draw something interesting. I think I need to get over that though, and just draw everything and anything. Cups, books, couches, people,–lots of people. I’m not super interested in these items as standalone objects of study, but I think if I want to see the improvement in my technical skills over time, I need to just push forward to draw everything critically.
Hopefully when it gets warmer out as well, it will be easier to draw my objects of interest more often.